Monday, April 30, 2007

Freed from Wrath

God is the most forgiving being in existence. This truth seems so elementary, but it is really so very astonishing. Recently, I was in a situation where I could not stop circumstances from provoking someone to anger. I tried not to do wrong, but I had. Rather than living under forgiveness, I gave way to guilt. As I waited for this person to apprehend me, my condemnation increased. I imagined the volcanism of this person's reaction. Fear crippled me from experiencing joy or even interacting normally with this person. I was nervous and flighty around them. I would stumble over my words and avoid eye contact. When I was alone, I would burst into tears at the thought of my guilt. What I had done wasn't bad by anyone else's standards. But I new it displeased this person, this dear, dear, friend. That shamed and horrified me.

When the individual became aware of what I had done, they reacted in love and assured me that I was overreacting. They lovingly corrected me for my immaturity during and after the incident. My slight misdemeanor was forgiven and forgotten.

But my reaction, my confusion, my fear, grabbed me. I am so grateful that in the next life, when I stand before the throne of the Holy of Holies, the Almighty One who cannot-is physically unable to- tolerate the smallest speck of sin and he judges me, I am released from fear. I will not tremble, looking for mountains to hide me from his scrutiny. My eyes will be fixed on my beloved. I can boldly draw near to my Father because he sent his Son to blot out my transgressions. Christ prepared my soul for the Father and will bring me to him. What an amazing, generous, merciful God!! I weep for joy at the thought that Christ died so that I would be free to know God now and forever.

No comments: